Home Forums Creative Content Game up in here. Reply To: Game up in here.

Anonymous
Inactive

@Barry: Thanks for the confirmation on what I have had experience with. Some companies openly state that they won’t even OPEN or acknowledge game ideas. But this isn’t a rule across the entire industry, and as I don’t live in Ireland, I was hoping to get some kind of feel for the game industry in this regard, for THAT country. Truthfully, I am really hoping for a reply from someone CURRENTLY at a game company, in a role somewhat related to this, especially about my second question.

@Chrisbo: Actually I am not quite sure this article does help me, at all. I’m sure you are trying to help, but I think that article answers the question "Is my game idea worth trying to pitch?", and I didn’t even really ask that one at all. A lot of the things mentioned in the article, are reasons WHY I posted these questions, specifically HERE on these forums.

As the article stated, modern day games are not going to be "squeaked through" by small development teams based off a design document. It just isn’t going to happen. Also as the article states, ALL game designers have their own pet projects and dream games that given the opportunity, they would want to pursue themselves. These two reasons alone, along with several more that the article and I both hold to be true, basically mean that your game idea isn’t going to get made by YOU, from some document that you create, that people then pour money into. That’s not how the industry has operated, for many years.

However, these are not reasons to abandon your game design, especially if it is built to be PROFITABLE, not just "LuLz, this is the l33test game evar!". And also especially, if you are more interested in the game CONCEPT succeeding, than your own personal involvement, participation, or even original vision of that concept. I’m not new to this particular "game", so my questions were asked more out of extensive experience, than the lack thereof.

So, if a design is thought to be feasible, profitable, and enticing enough to actually be pitched to a design company, which person in which position should be contacted? What format would most impressively convey to OTHER DEVELOPERS the potential and worth of a game concept idea, and get them excited about using THEIR talents and abilities to elevate the project even further? And if a design were actually accepted by a studio, realistically, what would the potential rewards be?